Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The time is winding down…

Week 16, Day 5

Well, we had a really long week and I mean LONG. It seems as our time in the academy gets shorter…the days get longer. I can remember in week one when the instructors said, “You only have 100 days to go”, and I thought that is an eternity. Now I am saying…where has the last 100 days gone? I am really…where has it gone? This last week was so jam packed with tests, practicals and more tests…that week 16 has come and gone.

We had 2 days worth of accident investigations, where we did various things. We learned how to interpret skid marks that could be seen during an accident. We learned how to take measurements of a traffic accident and then wrote an accident report, during a practical exercise. It really was interesting.

This week we also had the practical application of RAID, which means Rapid Emergency Deployment. This is where we learn how to go into a building when there maybe an active shooting. We have been practicing this type of training for the last couple of weeks, but this time we did it with simmunitions rounds. This is basically a bullet casing that is loaded with a paint ball. We did a dry run before the paint started flying, then the scenarios began.

During all of our past RAID sessions we never had anyone shooting back at us. So when we entered the building this time, it was a whole different training session. And like we say in the military…all the best laid plans go right out the window as soon as the first bullet is fired. It was interesting to see how easy it was to get tunnel vision and only focus on one thing. Adrenaline rushes can be a bad thing if you can’t control them. That is why we practice so much and try to get all the techniques into muscle memory. Without muscle memory…it would be easy to freeze up in these situations. We all did really well throughout the practicals and it was a great learning experience. Not to mention the large, red welts from the paint balls.

We also had written exam #7, the written exam for arrest control and then the practical exam for arrest control. I think I was more nervous about the practical exam then anything else. Don’t get me wrong…the other exams were just as important, but the hands-on test was the most stressful. We were tested on everything we had learned in arrest control from week 7, until week 16. That is A LOT of information to cram into this brain. I paired up with one of my classmates and we went into the test.

We both did really well, right up to the point the instructor said, “demonstrate 5 baton strikes.” Now, I heard 5, my partner heard 3. Yes, I continued with baton strikes 4 and 5, as my partner was lowering the pad and I struck him in the wrist. OOPS!!! Sorry John. Well, at least I know I did it right…because John’s wrist was really red and sore. Ever heard the phrase, “pay backs are a …?” John then had to demonstrate 5 baton strikes on me…well…I was hiding behind the pad for strikes 4 and 5. He didn’t pay me back…but I did feel really bad about that. Anyway…just a little story about arrest control.

So that’s week 16 in a nutshell. The best part of the week…well the 4 day weekend, of course. We are off for the next 4 days, due to Memorial Day. I just want to say something about Memorial Day.

I hope everyone will take the time to have a moment of silence for those that have given their lives in the line of duty. In 2003, I was sitting in Iraq on Memorial Day and it gave me a different perspective about this day. Especially when I was so far from home. Anyway, I don’t want to get on my soapbox but…we should be thankful EVERYDAY, not just one day a year. And we should be thankful for not only the military personnel, but the law enforcement officers serving here at home. They are fighting everyday, to keep this country safe and soon…that will be me and all of my classmates. Have a great weekend.

Practicing for RAID



I wouldn't want to see this end of a gun




Looking at skid marks



How to carry out the wounded




Getting ready to go into the RAID scenerio



Going after the active shooter



Working through a scenerio during arrest control




Breaking up a fight, during hands-on training