Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The butterfly effect…

Week 17, Day 5

So week 17 was a really short week and we still managed to squeeze in a lot of training. We had our last trip to Red Rocks this week, but not for PT. We went to Red Rocks to have our class photo taken as well as our individual graduation photos. This was a fun day. We took our official academy class photo with the beautiful Red Rocks backdrop, and at the same time…we were being video taped and photographed by several tourist that happened to be up there. This happens every time we go up there. It just solidifies that we are ALWAYS being watched and critiqued.

The fun part of the day was not only knowing that our time is winding down…but we got to relax a bit and just hang out with each other. When we were taking our individual photos, must of us try to look as serious as possible. You know we are going to be cops…so we have to look like a cop. So during the photo shoot, it became a challenge to see who we could get to crack a smile or laugh during their photos. I think everyone broke under the pressure. It really was a great day. I have to give a shout out to Jim from the Crime Lab for being our official photographer. He did a great job and he only attempted to fall off his ladder twice, while taking our class photo.

We also finished up with vehicle stops. This was where part of the butterfly effect came into play. What I mean by butterfly effect…all the butterflies in my stomach as I was confronted with a couple different scenarios. I had a scenario where the person I pulled over for a traffic violation, actually had a gun hidden in the visor of his car. What do I do? Do I pull them out of the car? Do I call for back-up? Do I draw my weapon for safety? All of these thoughts ran through my head, in a span of about 1 second. I worked through it and came out alive and well. But then my mind goes to…I am not ready for this. I have had 17 weeks of training and I am not ready to graduate. We have learned so much in this academy and I know that I speak for a majority of us…will we be ready to do this for real? BUTTERFLIES!!!

Then we moved onto the high risk (felony) vehicle stops. This happens when we have to remove 1 or more people from a vehicle. The instructors through some very interesting scenarios our way and it was cool to see how everyone reacted. The best scenario had to be when one of the instructors was on his knees and he was instructed to get up and walk towards the police car. As he got up, he tore a large hole in his pants. Everyone remained composed and serious through the scenario, but in the end…we laughed so hard. We all heard the pants rip and it was a true test to see how long everyone could go without losing it. Thanks to the instructors for the laugh.

After vehicle stops, we moved on to more simmunitions training. This time we had real life scenarios to work through, with active shooters. This too was a great test to see how everyone would react. The first scenario my group did…well…we were shot in the back by who we thought was the victim. We got better as the day wore on, but the screwed up scenarios stick with you. The last scenario my team got to play the “bad guy” and shoot at everyone. Now this was the other half of the butterfly effect. We had to think like the “bad guy” and outwit our classmates.

It was definitely an intense version of hide and seek. There’s nothing like running, because you’re being chased by your classmates…with guns. By the way…the simmunitions rounds…they hurt. Thanks to Nathan…I still have a large welt and bruise on my abdomen. One of the guys in the other group got hit in the abdomen and it looks like he now has 2 belly buttons. Nice shooting Laura!!!

Overall…it was a great week. Next week, we move onto driving. This should be fun.


Approaching the active shooter scenario






Searching the hillside for a the bad guy



Using cover to avoid getting shot


Getting set up for the class photo


Part of the peanut gallery, making people laugh


Recruits Meyer, Wilhelm and Harris. We refer to them as the AARP recruits.


Ranger takes advantage of Gonzo's intense focus