Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Introductions

I am 38 years-old and I am from Denver, CO. I grew up in Durango, CO and joined the U.S. Navy right out of high school.

I spent 6 years on active duty and traveled the world. I had a 5 year break in service, after which time I missed the military so I joined the Navy Reserves. I came back into the Navy Reserves as a Navy Corpsman, where I served with the Marines. This included a deployment to Iraq. During my break in service, I put myself through school and became a surgical assistant. I spent 12 years in the operating room, until I became interested in forensics and again went back to school. I graduated from Grossmont College in San Diego, CA with an Associates Degree in Forensic Technology. I took my degree and my medical background and went to work for the San Diego Medical Examiner’s Office as a Medical Examiner Investigator.

After Hurricane Katrina I felt that I could do more with my military career, so I left the Navy Reserves and joined the National Guard. The National Guard has more to offer in humanitarian missions, and it seemed more appropriate for what I wanted to do in life. In March 2008, I graduated from the Army Military Police Academy. I graduated with honors, including the Sergeant Major’s award of excellence.

I moved to Denver in April 2008, where I was hired as a Deputy Coroner for Jefferson County Coroner’s Office. I worked there until my appointment to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office Law Enforcement Academy.

I believe my purpose in life is to serve people, in one way or another. I feel that my knowledge, education and life experiences have helped me over the years accomplish that goal. My life experiences have made me a well rounded person, who definitely thinks outside the box.

I am looking forward to starting the academy and again going back to school. I have tested with several different agencies and Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office is by far the best department I have worked with. No, I am not just saying that for brownie points. I have worked with many deputies on different death scenes, when I worked for the Coroner’s Office and they have all been professional and a pleasure to work with. I want to be a part of that.