Tuesday, February 17, 2009

This is No Joke

Week 3, Day 1

In formation getting briefed about the PT test

Well, we are starting week 3 and it finally feels as though, I am starting to get a rhythm down. For example: when to get up in the mornings (minus the snow storms) and when to get to school (without speeding). What to eat for breakfast (to get me through to lunch) and what to eat for lunch (to get me through the afternoon PT sessions). When to study when I get home and then what time I should go to bed. This all may seem very trivial and somewhat ridiculous, but this program demands a lot out of you, and this is just to get by for 1 day. Now, let’s throw in the schedule we had on Friday of last week. Friday morning we had our first written test, that consisted of all the material we had learned from the last 2 weeks. After we were done with the written test, we had our first PT test. It was a stressful day, but the good news; we got to wear PT gear for the remainder of the day. It’s the small things that make me happy.

The written exam wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was really worried. To tell the truth, I was more worried about the PT test. I have been working out for months now, getting ready for this academy and I didn’t want to look like…..well a female. Being a female in any male dominated profession is hard and it’s even harder when you have to prove yourself physically to the men.

Well, my reign as the Class Sergeant ended on Friday and I can say I was not too sorry to see it go. Being responsible for the actions or inactions of 40 other people can be a little tough. Okay, at times it can be pretty miserable. For example: on Thursday night before we left for the evening I put out the word for everyone to bring ALL of there gear for PT, which includes hat and gloves. On Friday morning, when we got to the track to run the PT test…well some people decided to do their own thing. That does not bring a team together, when people are doing their own thing. So, it goes without saying, we did our PT test followed by an additional 82 push-ups for individuality. I know for the most part we are coming together; it is just taking some people a little longer to get with the program. Having been in the military for the last 16 years, I have seen this phase of training and it always gets better. Right now, my arms are sore as hell from all the push-ups.

So as we start week 3, we are finally in uniforms. We are wearing black pants with black polo shirts and spit shined boots. We had a formal uniform inspection first thing this morning, which for the most part went well. And as a team, we looked GREAT!!! Finally, we are looking like academy recruits. When you have to actually put on a uniform to go to work everyday, it makes you stand tall and want to look good. I was looking around the room today, thinking “Holy Crap, I am in a police academy”. I guess the nerves have worn off and the realism of this training program has set in.

So the things like what to eat for breakfast and how much time I dedicate to studying may seem trivial…but it is my life now and will be until June 19th. For the people out there, reading these blogs and want to go through this academy I can tell you this….get in shape and be prepared to do some HARD work. This program is no joke and will definitely test you, but if you love it as much as I do and the rest of my classmates do…well then this program is for you.

Push-up test

Sit-up test

1.5 mile run