Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Red Rocks…Not just for Concerts anymore!!

Week 4, Day 1

Well, it’s hard for me to believe that we are going into week 4. But on the other hand, we have done so much in 4 weeks that it feels like we should be father along. We wrapped up week 3 with the gut wrenching Red Rocks PT session. We were told throughout the day, the PT session would end when someone puked. I am happy to report it wasn’t me. Actually, nobody puked!! I think the instructors were shocked, yet excited that we all hung in there and everyone finished strong. We helped each other up the stairs, the bleachers and of course the planter boxes. Who knew that Red Rocks could cause that much pain? My knees and shins have seen better days, but my enthusiasm is strong. Most of the people I talked to throughout today’s class felt the same way, which is good, since we are going back to Red Rocks next week. GREAT!!!
Getting ready to run the stairs



Up and over the planter boxes



Finishing with the bleachers


We had a relaxed day today, with CPR and first aid classes. It was fun to be out of the classroom for the day and actually doing some hands-on work, instead of just sitting and listening. I know for me it’s hard to just sit all day. I would rather be out doing something. I know those days will end soon enough, but I still can’t help but feel a bit exhausted with all the classes right now. The rest of the week is filled with more law classes, but towards the end of the week we actually get into some classes on patrol. Patrol is where my heart lies. I hope to make it through my training in detentions and eventually test out, to get on the street. Most of the instructors we have had, say that if we want the experience then patrol is the way to go.


CPR & AED training



Basic first aid

What happened here?


Today, we started our week with a memorial formation to pay tribute to Fallen Officer’s of Colorado. It’s a beautiful way to start the day and it sets a tone for the rest of the week. Tomorrow morning we will start our day again, with a memorial formation and honor another 41 fallen officers. As I stand in formation, at parade rest and my head bowed, I listen to everyone say the name of a fallen officer. I can’t help but think about what their story was and how they died. I get a glimpse of what their families may have gone through and how the news was broken to them on that day. Then as it gets closer for me to snap to attention and say my officer’s name, I get nervous. I get nervous because I want to do that officer’s memory proud. That I have honored them properly and I can’t help but wonder…if someday an academy class just like this one will say my name or any of my classmates’ names. It seems like a horrible thing to think, but it is all around us. Just recently there was a shooting in Wheat Ridge, where a woman’s life was taken by another. One of the first arriving officer’s on scene is a friend of mine. I can’t help but think; if my friend was just a few seconds sooner would the gun have been turned on them? Today and tomorrow, I will read a name from the fallen officer’s list…a person I don’t know, but how long will that last?

So even though I am sitting bored in a classroom, or doing a CPR class for the hundredth time. No matter what we do in this academy, if we don’t give 110% to everything who are we really cheating? The instructors tell us often, it doesn’t matter if you’re the fastest or the biggest…it’s that you didn’t give up. So we don’t give up in class, we don’t give up on our studies, we don’t give up at Red Rocks and we don’t give up on each other. It’s an important lesson we are all learning in this academy. We are entering a tough world, where most of the time people only call for us when they need us or when they are in trouble. We are learning how to rely on each other, A LOT!!!